[News] Asus Shows No Windows Options for Eee PC (It Doesn't Play Nice with Windows)

  • Subject: [News] Asus Shows No Windows Options for Eee PC (It Doesn't Play Nice with Windows)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:11:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Second-gen Eee PC a CES no-show

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the anticipated second-gen Eee PC failed to make its anticipated
| appearance.
|
| The larger screen size – rumoured for some time – will provide a resolution
| of 1024 x 600, Asus said. That addresses one of the chief limitations of the
| current, 7in Eee PC: its 800 x 480 resolution, which isn't too much of a
| problem for Linux, but doesn't play so well with Windows.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/08/ces_2_gen_eee_pc_no_show/

No Windows Vista, no suitability for small monitors, no low cost. How will
Microsoft ever survive in an age of mobile devices? Eee users seem to be
enjoying their Linux and extending things:

EEE Officially Skype 2.0 with webcam support, works great

,----[ Quote ]
| This weekend I decided to do a package update on my EEE PC. I’ve resisted
| adding non-official repositories and generally doing geeky things to it as I
| wanted to compare the typical end user experience with that of the Zonbu.
`----

http://mrzonbu.wordpress.com/2008/01/07/eee-officially-skype-20-with-webcam-support-works-great/

Related:

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
|
| [...]
|
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/microsofts_big_problem_in_a_small_box.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

Asustek ups Eee PC sales f'cast by two-thirds

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTP4901620071128