Re: John Dvorak Concedes 2007 was a "Crappy Year" for Windows Enthusiasts

> ____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 03 January 2008 22:22 : \____
>
>> On Jan 3, 9:26 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> ____/ ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 03 January 2008 15:55 : \____

>>> I don't watch Apple to be honest (I closely track RHT/RHAT, NOVL, INTC, AMD,
>>> IBM, MSFT, ^FTSE and SCOX in the finance feeds), but all that I know based
>>> on bankers' word is that Novell is *advised* to buy back stock (many layoffs
>>> coming next year and jobs continue to move east-wards). It's not looking
>>> great for the US economy in general and I suppose you've heard about the
>>> price of oil (a Benjamin per barrel).
>>
>> The Sibold troll is posting an item on how great Apple has been doing,
>> and taunting Linux advocates.   I think he's a Wintroll not an Apple
>> troll, which is odd since the news is mostly bad for Microsoft, not
>> Linux.  Also, even according to NetApplications, Linux is up from
>> about 0.35% in Jan 07 to 0.66% now.    I don't know what their
>> methodology is, I couldn't find out, for example, these are OS
>> statistics as reported by browser hits?  In the US only?
>
> You can't get absolute numbers, but you can spot trends. Surveys indicate that,
> given the samples at hand, Linux usage on the desktop (not necessarily
> connected to the Web), has doubled in the past year. Think of this as a
> subsample of a sample. Sites like Groklaw and other popular 'congregation'
> areas for Linux users (there are characteristic attached) honour privacy, so
> their logs are not included in these Web stat-based surveys. It's a shame in
> a sense because by compromising privacy they could help the image of Linux,
> namely by showing its popularity.

We're well past the tipping point for linux now.  All we need to do is
wait.

>> I'm guessing
>> that this represents desktop usage in the US.  But the point is that
>> both Apple and Linux are up in the last year, Windows is down, getting
>> nibbled from both directions.  At this point Apple and Linux are not
>> competing much with each other.  But the report on Apple in the last
>> few days really is impressive.  Looks like half the universe got a Mac
>> and an iPhone for Christmas.  My father-in-law was one (Mac last fall,
>> iPhone for xmas).  I hadn't seen an iPhone before.  It's really
>> beautiful, I've got to say.  My father-in-law is deaf, so he doesn't
>> use the phone part, but he does do a lot of internet from hand-held
>> devices (his main way of communicating), and he's a technology nut.
>> He also loves his new Mac and vows never to go back to Windows, which
>> he used for 10 years.  Anyway, I'd love to see Ballmer's face when he
>> sees these statistics.    I won't feed the Sibold troll, but this is
>> an interesting story.  All the curves I've seen on Apple are aiming
>> for the stars, so it's got to give Billy and company bad dreams.
>>
>> 2007 has been a bad year for Microsoft.  I can't wait to see what 2008
>> will bring.
>
> Apple's growth is definitely symbiotic as far as Linux goes. It's UNIX, it uses
> Samba, it runs open source apps without performance penalties, and so forth.
> Some Apple Mac users move to Linux or mix the two (desktop and server or
> desktop and desktop).

Apple's hardware is, in the main, very good quality, and their products
overall tend to be well engineered, and typically do "what they say on
the tin".  We've a dual-PPC mac and a mac mini here, and I had a really
old colour mac which recently had to be disposed of due to water damage,
all of which are well-built and well-conceived devices.

For me, the iPhone is the exception, though - it's data performance is
always going to be awful compared with 3G devices;  why Apple would
release something based on 10 year old technology is hard to understand,
but perhaps the lack of 3G penetration in the US, and a very strong
US-market focus explain this.  For the rest of the world, it's a
dinosaur machine, though.