Re: working on Microsoft time ..

____/ Doug Mentohl on Wednesday 02 January 2008 18:36 : \____

> 01. login ..
>
> 02. To check email click on Outlook
>
> 03. While waiting for the screen to appear click msWord to write
> something.
>
> 04. while waiting for the screen to appear click on Internet Explorer
> and go back to 02.
>
> 05. Outlook still not up, will try and see if screen 03 is up, only I
> forgot why I wanted it.
>
> 06. While typing text press backspace and continue writing, nothing
> happens so go and see if 04 is up.
>
> 07. Back to msWord, now the new text you just entered, has been erased
> and the old text is still there. Type something and then back to 03,
> remembering to return 20 seconds into the future, by which time the
> screen might have updated ..
>
> 08. Check email and see a reference that I need to lookup, GOTO 04,
> twenty seconds later the screen pops up, now why do I need this
> particular piece of information again, I forget, must remember to take
> notes.
>
> 09. What should take five minutes, stretches twenty minutes into the
> future. Like, check your email, look something up, write something and
> email it back to them.
>
> If you want to recreate this people-ready-experience then have a
> college turn the moniitor off and on for a random period of from two
> to twenty seconds at a time ..
>
> While I can manage to do more then one thing at a time, appariently
> the computer still hasn't managed to figure out how.

Windows can be customised heavily to accommodate better workflow, but it
certainly does not encourage this. This also relies on third-party developers
and lots of code that makes the system less predictable and more laborious to
set up.

Several years ago (at work), there was a Windows XP machine I sometimes had to
type some logs into. The UI requires some time getting used to (it's a PITA),
but there are some workarounds. Also, if all you do on the PC is a single task
(or browse with a single (!!) tab), then it's acceptable. Windows is suitable
for children and for people who were only recently introduced to mousing. For
anybody else, it's the equivalent of bicycles with two supporting wheels on
each side and no gear.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
         run-level 2  2007-12-10 11:12                   last=