Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Spins Its DST Problems

____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 01 January 2008 23:47 : \____

>> DST change reveals stone-age OS routines
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | [...] [Microsoft] "is working internally to create a new Time
>> | Zone that reflects the change"
>
> Why does Microsoft want to reinvent UTC?
>
> A better question might be, why can't Microsoft merely *implement* UTC?

You're asking the company that insists on standardising incorrect leap years,
i.e. reinvent history and science at the ISO by ramming it down the zombified
ISO's throat. Do recall what Mr. Ballmer told us: "We ARE the standard."

> I think the "legacy" argument must surely be dead by now. Vista already
> breaks so much legacy code that one more snippet should not really make
> that much difference. Maybe they are just reluctant to implement a real
> standard for fear of screwing it up, as usual. Maybe they don't want to
> implement something they don't hold exclusive patents on. Maybe they're
> incompetent, or arrogant, or apathetic because they see no profit in it
> at all ("nobody upgrades to fix bugs").

It's the same with MSO07. Microsoft and its investors care more about cash than
preserving history. If some old documents become inaccessible, then fine, as
long as it doesn't hurt /Microsoft's/ profits. If many games and applications
(binaries) are rendered obsolete (virtualisation of legacy _and unsafe_
Windows aside), then fine, as long as it drives people toward Microsoft's
alternatives. Backward compatibility is not a design consideration. Sometimes
it's a barrier in the face of forced upgrades and planned obsolescence. That
alone is a reason to embrace FOSS. Everything expires in a world of just zeros
and ones.

> But then how important is it, exactly, for a Windows system to keep the
> correct time, if that Windows machine is only going to be running a few
> seconds before it BSODs?
>
> Not very.

Well, given the forced hardware upgrade cycle (think Vista), the CMOS battery
and therefore the system clock ought to be reliable. So here's another
contradiction to you...

"Pearly Gates and Em-Ballmer
    One promises you heaven and the other prepares you for the grave. "
                --Ray Noorda, Novell