Re: [News] Selling Music Like Free Software Pays Off

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I take exception to the author's use of the word "communist", though.
> Must everything that challenges corrupt business practises be slurred
> with stereotypes? I suppose to those who seek to protect that corrupt
> politics, yes - it must.

Yes, communism is a poor analagy for the sharing of digital content.
Communism dictates the redistribution of finite resources based on
need (take something from one person to give to another, and the
first person goes without).  Digital copying does not deprive the
originating party of their content.  At most it deprives a copyright
holder of 'potential' revenue.  Open source software shifts revenue
from the sale of shrinkwrapped boxes to payment for services like
training and support.  Similarly, the music industry could shift
to one where sales of plastic disks is replaced with concert
revenue and merchandising and licensing of music rights for
commercial use.  Music sharing could be treated as similar to
radio air time, a way to get exposure with the listening public.
The only problem with this model is that it decreases the
importance (and thus the profits) of record labels and keeps
more of the money with the artists.  Wait, did I actually call
that a 'problem'?

Thad
all the ingredients on the label.