Re: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use

On Jan 1, 10:58 am, tha...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Gordon <gbpli...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Particularly as it's a standard clause in most software EULAs to be able to
> > make a copy of the software for backup purposes - what's the difference
> > between an Office suite CD and a music CD?
>
> Archival copying is specifically allowed under copyright law, and there
> is even existing case law in support of space shifting of content
> (which personal CD ripping falls under).  I think you will find this
> is a scare/bargaining tactic and they back down before actually taking
> any of these claims to trial.  Of course I am not a lawyer, don't take
> this as legal advice.... bla bla bla.

That is until the Supreme Court reverses its old precedent when a
"arrested, convicted, and imprisoned for ripping legally-purchased CDs
for personal use and archive" case inevitably comes before them.

And with the ever-increasing political power of the recording industry
when you consider how they blatantly bribe politicians to serve their
every whim, that will probably eventually happen.

It will be interesting to see where Chief Justice Roberts and Justice
Alito will stand on this issue, being Bush appointees. And I figure
President Hillary will most likely seek a replacement for Ginsburg (I
figure Ginsburg will retire during Hillary's first term).