[News] Latest Free Software and Open Source Success Stories (Batch)

  • Subject: [News] Latest Free Software and Open Source Success Stories (Batch)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:07:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hats off to those who made free software into a successful business

,----[ Quote ]
| The genius of the successful open-source companies, therefore, was to
| recognize a value niche between the chaos of truly free software and the
| large license fees of proprietary software like Windows. They sell
| open-source subscriptions at a fraction of proprietary license fees--that
| offer a stable, supported product to risk-averse corporate customers.
|
| Add it up, and it's worth a pretty penny--or a billion dollars to Sun.
`----

http://blog.pennlive.com/shoptalkmarketing/2008/01/hats_off_to_those_who_made_fre.html

New Study Indicates That Open Source Software’s Presence Will Increase from
Approximately 10 Percent of Key User on-Premise Software in 2007, to between
15 Percent and 20 Percent by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month, we looked at user adoption plans and data to frame a typical
| roadmap of enterprise-level open source adoption. This month, we look in more
| depth at specific user business software categories, to see which will lead
| and which will follow on the path to open source.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080117005473&newsLang=en

News: Open-Source Solutions Alliance, Releases 2008 Web Business Market
Predictions

,----[ Quote ]
| The nonprofit, vendor-neutral organization dedicated to accelerating the
| growth of open source interoperability, The Open Solutions Alliance (OSA),
| has released its 2008 Predictions Survey findings, which polled open-source
| CEOs on forecasts for the coming year.
`----

http://www.thehostingnews.com/news-open-source-solutions-alliance-releases-2008-web-business-market-predictions-3929.html

Grandchaos goes open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Tcheleskov Ivanovitch announces the release of a first Grandchaos album on
| the Swiss label Urgence Disk Records.
`----

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=28526_0_2_0_C

Enhydra Shark 2.1-1, Open Source Workflow Engine, Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Version 2.1.1 of Enhydra Shark has been released. Enhydra Shark is an
| open-source Java available workflow engine, with WfMC and OMG Workflow
| Management Facility compliant.
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,22925,p,0.html

Open Source for the Rust Belt?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, I bring up this idea to foster a home-grown open-source industry because
| I am a geek, but I truly think it makes sense. In countries such as India and
| Brazil, leaders have seen the value of promoting local solutions that not
| only decrease their dependence on Microsoft but also improve local expertise
| and create more jobs. Why can't a state or region develop its own economy as
| such, too? Start by promoting open-source solutions and open file formats in
| all levels of government, including schools. Follow up by offering students
| courses and degrees that give them the skills to compete to create those
| solutions.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006091

osCommerce: The Industry's Past, Present and Future

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ecommerce-guide.com/solutions/technology/article.php/3722381