[News] Novell's Antitrust Lawsuits Aggainst Microsoft Carries on

  • Subject: [News] Novell's Antitrust Lawsuits Aggainst Microsoft Carries on
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:30:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Novell's Suit Against Microsoft Cites Decline of WordPerfect

,----[ Quote ]
| WordPerfect, a once-popular software program, is making something of a
| comeback -- this time as Exhibit A in Novell Inc.'s multibillion-dollar
| antitrust suit against Microsoft Corp.
|
| The lawsuit is a byproduct of the U.S. government's landmark case against
| Microsoft that was settled more than six years ago after the world's biggest
| software maker was declared an illegal monopolist. A handful of other private
| suits against Microsoft still await resolution, and no claim is bigger than
| Novell's.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=azE3HU7AoBu4&refer=news

Not looking great neither for Novell nor for Microsoft.

Subject: Novell corporate shuffles

,----[ Quote ]
| This article talks about the possibility of Novell being bought out by
| another company. That would solve none of the objections that the open source
| community has about the Microsoft-Novell agreement. The purchasing company
| would have to assume the obligations imposed on Novell by the
| Microsoft-Novell agreement and the purchasing company would also own SuSE.
| The fight between open source and Novell's successor would continue unabated.
| I would much prefer a sale or corporate shuffle of some sort where the
| obligations imposed by the Microsoft-Novell agreement would remain with
| Novell or its new parent and SuSE would be either independent or owned by a
| company with no ties whatsoever to the company which owns Novell's end of the
| Microsoft-Novell agreement.
|
| Such an arrangement would leave Novell with a pile of money and a dying
| Netware business. Obviously Novell would have to develop a new business
| strategy. I would like to suggest that Novell has already found one
| possibility. Microsoft's ability to do software development has died.
| Microsoft contracted with Novell to produce open source software written to
| include Microsoft's patents, software interfaces, data formats, and network
| interfaces. Novell is executing this contract with a proficiency in
| developing software that Microsoft cannot hope to match. I suggest that
| Novell develop a business in contracting with Microsoft to develop Microsoft
| proprietary software and Microsoft can lay off their bloated, ineffective
| software development bureaucracy.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-01-17-022-26-OS-SS-0001

Related: