Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

____/ Johan Lindquist on Friday 18 January 2008 08:23 : \____

> So anyway, it was like, 17:48 CET Jan 17 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
> Roy Schestowitz was all like, "Dude,
>> ____/ Johan Lindquist on Thursday 17 January 2008 10:22 : \____
>>> So anyway, it was like, 10:36 CET Jan 17 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
>>> Roy Schestowitz was all like, "Dude,

>>> Where does it actually, explicitly, say that it is?

>>> And who, pray tell, should one discuss the benefits of linux as
>>> compared to other operating systems with, if someone who likes
>>> another os better is labeled as "suspicious"? Isn't the basis for
>>> actual debate that you have opposing views on the subject at hand?
>>>
>>> Is it really just a place where people can sit around and agree on
>>> how good linux is you're after? I don't believe this group is the
>>> place you want, in that case.
>>
>> The way you put this sounds reasonable,
>
> Thanks for that sentiment.
>
>> but think about posters who come here to say that person X is
>> castrating bodyparts and person Y is a 'fruit'. Then, come to
>> consider that many people come here not to criticise Linux but to
>> /ATTACK/ it. That's no debate, unless we all live in a cave.
>
> None of that has anything to do with the operating system the person
> uses or prefers, it's just that some people like to be hostile toward
> others. Did you know, there are complete assholes that run both linux
> and *gasp* bsd!?!

...and Macs. Well, the proportion of arseholes *does* vary depending on
platforms if you take the average over some population. For instance, there
has just been a publication of a survey which shows Mac users are... well,
smug ("feeling superior, more liberal, etc.").

Anyway, Kier is not a troll, but he does tend to feed the trolls more than he
ought to. And when I say "trolls" in this content what I mean to say is that
he talks to people who talk about people, not computers. Replace "talk"
with "attack". There is no reason to feed the scummy ones because by doing so
you're encouraging more of that and keeping them around.

Charity: compensating for a broken system rather than actually fixing it