[News] Erik 'Microsoft' Huggers Hires Open Source Expert for MSBBC

  • Subject: [News] Erik 'Microsoft' Huggers Hires Open Source Expert for MSBBC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 02:48:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dirk-Willem van Gulik appointed BBC Future Media & Technology Chief Technical
Architect

,----[ Quote ]
| Erik Huggers, BBC Future Media and Technology Group Controller, has appointed
| Dirk-Willem van Gulik as the division's Chief Technical Architect.
|
| [...]
|
| Dirk-Willem is a recognised contributor to the Open Source Community and has
| been a board member of the Apache Software Foundation since its inception.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/01_january/17/gulik.shtml

Erik Huggers defended Microsoft's abuses with Windows Media Player before
joining the BBC (now known as MSBBC). They seem to be trying to hide what has
really happened, which put their jobs in jeopardy.

Quote for the day:

"I am convinced we have to use Windows – this is the one thing they don’t have.
We have to be competitive with features, but we need something more — Windows
integration."

                                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Related:

BBC Director General grilled by MPs on iPlayer

,----[ Quote ]
| During the meeting there is discussion of iPlayer’s total cost to the licence
| fee-payer - the BBC representatives are unable to give a figure, but start
| the bidding at £20m, excluding staff costs. Thomson gives incorrect
| information - that Mac and Linux versions of iPlayer have the same
| functionality as Windows versions - and has to change his evidence at the
| end. Perhaps it was this confusion that prompted Dr John Pugh MP to follow up
| the encounter with a letter direct to Mark Thomson today discussing platform
| neutrality in greater detail. A copy of this letter has been passed to the
| Open Rights Group.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/01/10/bbc-director-general-grilled-by-mps-on-iplayer/

BBC Corrupted

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft. With
| today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most basic of
| duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line distribution
| of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a Microsoft operating
| system to view BBC programming on the web. This is akin to saying you must
| own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must accept the Digital
| Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer imposes. You simply cannot be
| allowed to be in control of your computer according to the BBC.
`----

http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted

BBC iPlayer Protests

,----[ Quote ]