[News] Early Signs of Microsoft's Willingness to Support ODF

  • Subject: [News] Early Signs of Microsoft's Willingness to Support ODF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 02:45:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[Stephen Walli (formerly of Microsoft) said that Microsoft supporting ODF is
inevitable]

Microsoft Defends Open XML Work

,----[ Quote ]
| Also, if individual governments mandate the use of ODF instead of Open XML,
| Microsoft would adapt, Knowlton said. The company would then implement the
| missing functionality that ODF doesn't support. However, those extensions
| would be custom-designed and outside of the standard, which is counter to the
| idea of an open document standard, Knowlton said. "Disastrous? No. But
| definitely not preferable," he said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141424-c,opensource/article.html

Ouch. Microsoft already shows willingness to deviate from its broken formats
(OOXML) to keep the cash cow (Office) relevant to a wider audience.

Microsoft Says It Will Release Binary Office Formats - Which?

,----[ Quote ]
| There's nothing like an EU Commission investigation to get Microsoft to open
| up a little, is there?
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft says it will make the release of the binary formats by February
| 15th. I don't see how that gives anyone time to evaluate before the ballot
| resolution meeting at the end of February.

It seems like a win for that Dutch group. This might ease migration from the
binaries to ODF.

Related:

Dispelling Myths Around ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Recent articles, reports and documents show that there are still a lot of
| misperceptions regarding ODF in the market. Apparently, many people are still
| not well informed about ODF even though they choose to write about ODF.
| Therefore, I thought it can't hurt trying to dispel a couple of myths around
| ODF.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/dispelling_myths_around_odf

Why Microsoft deserved to lose the OOXML standards vote

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=694