Re: [News] Details About Novell Stff Exodus After Bullnux Deal

Tappit Hen wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:37:14 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> DFS wrote:
>>
>>> The "community" that freeloaded Suse before Novell acquired it
>>> continued to freeload Suse after Novell acquired it.  No news
>>> there.
>>
>> Except that before Novell aquired SuSE, you had to pay for the
>> distro.  Making your "freeloading" claim just another cretinous lie
>
> Not exactly true. SuSE didn't provide ISO's for free download. What
> they did was some time after a new version was available they allowed
> ftp installs. Of course as most home users only had slow dialup at the
> time it wasn't very popular.

Right. Also since they made new versions every half year, those ftp-installs
were usually the older version. Not that there was anything wrong with
that, but linux evolved quite rapidly at that time, and new versions
usually brought much more features.
Now that it has more settled, and hardware is much better supported (to the
point that you normally just drop in the DVD and off you go) that is of
lower priority (just recently I installed a SuSE10.3 on a computer which
had until then run SuSE10.0 (64bit-version). There simply was no need to
consider installing 10.1 or 10.2, as everything was just working nicely)

> SuSE was very popular in Europe and many paid for the boxed set not
> only because it was a very robust distro but the hard copy manuals
> that came with it were excellent.

Right. I still keep the last thick manuals (from the version 10.0 on they
got smaller, although still real fat compared to windows manuals)
They are well written and explain quite easily to read the workings of most
stuff

>> When will you start to get the very first thing right, DumbFullShit?
>
> That is a rhetorical question I presume? :-)

Well, it is, I fear. Because the only possible answer would be "never"
--
Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.