Re: [News] Linux Fury at MSBBC Claimed to be Justified

Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:44:07 +0000,
>  Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> * Gordon peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Well, at least with Windows Home Server they don't call 'em "Service
>>> Packs" any more.
>>>
>>> They call 'em "Power Packs".  <eyes roll>
>>>

>> When all else fails, there's always the marketing man...
>>

> WHS has been a bit of a black eye for MS lately, maybe they want to
> distract from the "don't use this machine for storing important data you
> plan on getting back" bit.

I think that the Excito chaps in Sweden could do themselves, and
probably the rest of the planet, a huge favour by marketing their
offering just a little harder.

It does pretty much everything the WHS does, but in a tiny package, uses
amazingly low power, and also has the mediatomb upnp a/v server on board
as well.  This works with the Mac's iPlayer as well as the Sony PS3, and
the Nokia 770/800, too.

I've got my mythtv box set up so that it downcodes whatever it records
into a medium-sized DIVX but also into a tiny format suitable for my
N800, the kids' GP2Xs and Mrs Mark's Archos 504.  It stores these
recodes directly onto the bubba excito box which then can distribute
them anywhere else, including over the internet to wherever else I might
be (by sftp, not udp...).

I can't really see what WHS has that isn't done better and less
expensively and more resiliently and more securely by other devices.

No wonder Power Packs are important :-)