[News] MSBBC Covers UMPCs But Neglects to Mention Top Dog Linux

  • Subject: [News] MSBBC Covers UMPCs But Neglects to Mention Top Dog Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:37:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ultra-mobile future beckons for PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| The desktop PC's days of dominance could be numbered as laptops and
| ultra-mobile PCs begin to reap the benefit of ever greater, and more
| efficient, computing power.

It mentions Windows twice despite the fact that Windows fails in this area. It
doesn't mention Linux which takes over it. Another fine example of poor poor
biased reporting. No wonder people are left with the wrong impression that
Windows is strong.

On the other hand, the Linux-based Eee was mentioned as one of the best of CES:

The best gadgets of CES 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Eee GOES WIMAX

Whatever Happened To The Origami?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately Origami is a classic example of how a viral buzz can
| work against a product release. Expectations were too high and the
| final product was puzzling and didn't fulfill any specific consumer
| demand. By the time the systems were actually released the hype had
| died down and there was practically zero consumer awareness. I've
| actually considered the possibility that the viral Origami campaign
| was a warm-up for the Zune campaign that followed later in the summer.
`----

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/hardware/whatever-happened-to-the-origami/

Microsoft Kills Origami, Presents Vistagami

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., the pioneer behind the Ultra Mobile PC movement
| (Origami), is more or less killing the original concept and
| coming up with a more upbeat version.
`----

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Special_Reports/Special_Reports/Microsoft_Kills_Origami%2C_Presents_Vistagami_200701302798/
http://tinyurl.com/2nhttc

Original 'Origami' team moves to a new secret project

,----[ Quote ]
| This "secret project" could be nothing more than a lot of hype --
| as was the "Origami Project" (which morphed into the
| less-than-well-received Ultramobile PCs).
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=234

Has Intel Given up on the UMPC as a Mass Market Device?

,----[ Quote ]
| I remember being struck by the idea that the device didn't quite know if
| it was a business or consumer tool, and at more than $1000, I couldn't
| see many people running out to buy one. Seems I was right (nice to be
| right once in a while). According to Gruener's article, Intel has
| decided to scrap the UMPC (or at least send it to the niche market
| pile) in favor a new mass-market device it's dubbing the Mobile
| Internet Device or MID (because we couldn't do this without
| another acronym).
`----

http://byronmiller.typepad.com/byronmiller/2007/05/intel_is_ready_.html

Linux-powered Mobile Internet Device video walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The finalized product could obviously change ever-so-sightly between
| now and then, but regardless, be sure to click on through for an
| in-action look at Intel's Linux-based MID, and try not to become
| too envious, capiche?
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/05/linux-powered-mobile-internet-device-video-walkthrough/

The UMPC dies. And no one notices.

,----[ Quote ]
| If Intel has its way, then what once was the mass market UMPC will
| morph into much smaller and less powerful "mobile Internet devices,"
| hort "MID".
|
| [...]
|
| There must have been a slight disconnect between Microsoft's
| marketing strategists and hardware and product designers.
| Neither the first nor the second generation of UMPCs came
| close to the expectations the initial marketing created.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31899/113/

UMPC News : New Linux distro for MIDs to be launched in May. Redflag
Mid Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The new distro will have a 500MB footprint, will support
| power-saving features, boot time is shown as 18 seconds on
| one of the slides.
`----

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=480

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly
| on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act
| like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles,
| digital video recorders with terabytes of memory.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps

,----[ Quote ]