Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 17 January 2008 04:13 :
\____

> alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> As much as I love linux, it's not the right tool all the time. I really
>> don't see why I would use Linux on an embedded device. I'm not talking
>> smartphones and the like, but on very specialized systems - like my
>> Sirius radio - which don't have or need a lot of memory or CPU.
>>
>> just my 2 (canadian) cents.
>
> Actually, Linux is hugely popular as an embedded OS.  Obviously
> it does not make sense for extremely simple devices, but nowadays
> you can cram a hellofalot of computer onto a very tiny board.
> There is the hugely popular PC-104 form factor and now even
> smaller 'gum stick' computers the size of key fob that can run
> Linux.  I've personally worked on Linux computers embedded in
> airplanes, cars, MRI machines, handheld games, and now cable
> television video equipment.  The board sizes ranged from high
> end multi-processor rigs to tiny singleboard computers not much
> bigger than a credit card.
>
> Linux would be overkill for a Sirius radio receiver that just
> receives one station at a time, but if you have a high end
> model that can play one station while recording several others,
> can store and play MP3s, and has an LCD interface, well then it
> begins to make sense to consider Linux.

Exactly. Recently I've seen things like a Linux-based alarm clock or photo
frame. Sounds like an overkill, no? Well, they are also MP3 players, Wi-Fi
receivers and all sorts of funky stuff. Their price is still very low. As you
rightly stated, Linux can be put on small and very cheap boards. It's very
commoditised. It's like buying aspirin. That's why Microsoft is so afraid of
ODF as well, not just Linux, but that's another story.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Somebody, give this politician a wedgie"
Mem:    515500k total,   444108k used,    71392k free,     6412k buffers