[News] Active Directory Support in Linux Comes from Many Vendors, Samba

  • Subject: [News] Active Directory Support in Linux Comes from Many Vendors, Samba
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:00:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Likewise Extends Active Directory`s Embrace to Mac and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Likewise Enterprise and its open-source sibling, Likewise Open, enable
| administrators to manage Linux, Macintosh and Unix machines through
| Microsoft's Active Directory and Group Policy.
|
| Linux-based operating systems boast some very impressive management features,
| including detailed configuration controls for the GNOME desktop environment
| and a unified software management framework that puts Windows and its horde
| of disparate update applets to shame.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Likewise-Extends-Active-Directory-Embrace-to-Mac-and-Linux/

Who says you can't use Active Directory with Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Like it or lump it, Microsoft's Active Directory is the heart of many
| corporate networks. That, however, doesn't mean that Linux and Mac systems
| can't work and play with Active Directory. With Samba, they can. And, with
| Likewise, Linux and Mac can work and play well with Active Directory.

Samba's Tridge clusters code and crowds

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: How much will the agreement result in the increased interoperability
|    between Windows and Linux/Unix?
|
| tridge: For the sections of the protocols we already implement, Samba already
|         has quite good interoperability. Where it will make more of a
|         difference is allowing us to expand into new areas where we
|         previously lacked features that Windows servers have. For example in
|         the area of Active Directory replication, and remote indexing.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;486554008;fp;4;fpid;4

Symark Software Introduces PowerADvantage® to Extend Active Directory
Functionality to UNIX and Linux Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| PowerADvantage implements an agent on UNIX and Linux machines that
| communicates with Active Directory’s domain controllers.
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070917005163&newsLang=en

Microsoft patches Active Directory flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| The MS07-039 Active Directory update, which is for Windows 2000 Server and
| Windows Server 2003 systems, should be at the top of enterprise IT
| administrators' lists, said Eric Schultze, chief security architect with
| Shavlik Technologies. "That one scares me because those are the crown jewels
| there. And it looks like you're caught with your pants down at the moment."
|
| [...]
|
| The flaw deals with the way Active Directory processes LDAP client requests.
| Attackers could create a malicious LDAP request that would then allow them
| to "take complete control of an affected system," Microsoft warned in its
| advisory on the flaw.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070710/tc_infoworld/90096

Linux servers join with Active Directory

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1239945,00.html

Linux servers join with Active Directory

,----[ Quote ]
| Centeris Corp., a Bellevue, Wash.-based vendor specializing in Linux
| server management tools for Windows administrators, has launched a
| new product that allows Linux servers to take part in an Active
| Directory (AD) environment.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1239945,00.html

Can Linux Desktops Live in an Active Directory World?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2006/09/12/linux-goes-mad/