[News] [Rival] Microsoft Gets Mathematics Wrong (Again)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Gets Mathematics Wrong (Again)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:31:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Trouble In Microsoft World Over Calculator

,----[ Quote ]
| The calculator post seems to be a reaction to a MS KnowledgeBase article
| titled Incorrect Calculator Results When You Use the Percent Key which
| implies the percent function screws up your results when you use it along
| with + or – in any combination. Way to go Microsoft!
`----

http://blog.teqedge.com/2008/01/15/trouble-in-microsoft-world-over-calculator/

Related:

Microsoft Excel fails math test

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp.'s Excel 2007 spreadsheet program is going to have to relearn
| part of its multiplication table.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070928/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_excel_bug

Microsoft: Excel Bug Doesn't Add Up

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've been depending on your Microsoft Excel software to do your number
| crunching for you, you might want to grab a calculator and review your
| spreadsheets before you send the document out the door. That's because the
| latest version of Excel is housing bugs that are dead set on ruining your
| reports.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20070927/tc_nf/55613

[OOXML] Mathematically Incorrect

,----[ Quote ]
| So when it comes to comparing MSOOXML and ODF v1.0 on the basis of the
| inclusion of "Formula Definitions", it becomes clear that the anti-ODF folk
| have not much to shout about. In fact MSOOXML's "Formula Definition" is
| deficient and inaccurate.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/07/mathematically-.html

OOXML: The Formula for Failure