[News] Unisys Foresees Success for Open Source, SE Linux a Great Free Software Success

  • Subject: [News] Unisys Foresees Success for Open Source, SE Linux a Great Free Software Success
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:27:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Unisys Predicts CIOs in 2008 Will Expand Use of Open Source Solutions to
Modernize IT Environments

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080115005199&newsLang=en

SE Linux--a great open source success story

,----[ Quote ]
| I just read an excellent summary of the top 10 SE Linux stories of 2007, and
| it reminds me that I owe the world a blog posting about the amazing vision
| and accomplishments of the SE Linux project.
|
| [...]
|
| My congratulations to the SE Linux team for demonstrating so convincingly the
| benefits of open source collaboration. And to my readers: enable SE Linux and
| worry less about zero-day attacks.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/240

Even without marketing.

Open Source’s Missed Opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| This could have been a huge week for the open source industry to cash in on
| the retail industry. Instead it’s a missed opportunity. Microsoft, Oracle,
| IBM and other traditional software companies are making big news at a major
| New York event for retail CIOs, but open source application providers like
| OpenBravo are largely silent. Big mistake. Here’s a closer look at the
| situation.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/01/14/open-sources-missed-opportunity/

Related:

Unisys, Oracle hone in on Linux conversions

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday, Unisys plans to announce an expansion of its relationship
| with Oracle to move mainframe and Unix deployments over to Linux and SOA.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070206/tc_infoworld/85777

Unisys aims to ride the wave of open source TIO

,----[ Quote ]
| A focus on innovation, rather than cost, also enables users to
| avoid "fruitless debates about the five-year TCO of Microsoft and
| Linux" added Sparkes, noting that "really the movement is from proprietary
| to open source. What open source does give you that proprietary software
| can't is this potential for innovation."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/unisys_aims_to.html

Unisys Predicts 2007 Open Source Trends

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Unisys experts, 2007 will be the year that open source
| software attains the architectural backing and distribution channels needed
| to gain acceptance from enterprise customers as a front-rank vehicle for
| deploying enterprise applications to drive business growth and innovation
| at a lower cost per transaction.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Application/Unisys_Predicts_2007_Open_Source_Trends
http://tinyurl.com/yytlf5

Unisys Open Source Migration Helps Leading UK Brokerage Streamline Operations
and Customer Service

,----[ Quote ]
| By moving its hardware platform, operating system and applications
| to a Linux environment on Unisys ES7000/one Enterprise Servers,
| Redmayne-Bentley has achieved a tenfold increase in processing power,
| an 88 percent reduction in overnight processing times and
| significantly enhanced security.
`----

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/nachrichten-2006-12/artikel-7450176.asp

Unisys Becomes First Alfresco Software Platinum SI Partner

,----[ Quote ]
| Unisys to offer application development services and open source
| ECM, augmenting successful global ECM solution and
| integration business
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20061116005110&newsLang=en

Almost open source at Unisys -- and with support

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source can bring innovation like no other technology can, says
| Unisys head
|
| [...]
|
| "You often hear about Linux, but there are 103,000 other open source
| projects, which represent huge amounts of ideas and good coding,"
| he adds.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/7DA5127745F92F51CC2572290009C201

Groundwork Open Source works with Unisys to launch solution in UK

,----[ Quote ]
| Unisys has successfully integrated GroundWork Monitor Professional
| into the company's Unisys OASIS open source framework and is
| providing the solution to customers in the UK. GroundWork Open
| Source, which deliveres open source systems and network
| management software, recently announced a global OEM deal
| with Unisys to allow it to offer GroundWork Monitor
| Professional as a new component of the Unisys Open and
| Secure Integrated Solutions (OASIS) framework.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=290

Unisys Joins Newly Formed Open Solutions Alliance

,----[ Quote ]