Re: [News] [Rival] Intel's CEO Does Damage Control After Assaulting a Charity, Spreads FUD

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 16 January 2008 09:16 : \____

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/15/paul-otellini-tells-intel

>>> The spin is palpable.  I note he mentions nothing of Intel trying to
>>> influence governments away from OLPC, nor anything about the inability
>>> of Intel to provide hardware with sufficiently low power requirements.
>>>
>>> I doubt his workforce are so easily fooled, however.
>>
>> My brother-in-law works for them. He is just very obedient. An top Intel man
>> jumped that ship recently and I wonder if we'll see more after all those
>> destructed E-mails (criminal evidence, one would assume). Microsoft already
>> has an image problem. Intel deserves one too. I recently read about how
>> successful Intel has been in terms of marketing and retaining a strong
>> image, despite so much shady stuff (going back to retaliation tactics and
>> threats in the 90s). Remember the motto of the company's founder.
>>

> Intel have as much to lose from Microsoft's collapse as Microsoft have,
> or almost, anyway.  I expect that there will be tough times there, at
> least, until things are restabilised.  It would appear that they have
> developed a similar bullying culture to Microsoft's, though.

They don't perceive it as bullying because of the vanity. They assume the world
is served to them on a silver plate. Cases of point:

http://rcpmag.com/features/article.aspx?editorialsid=741

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2160431/microsoft-warns-google-business

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.camp-site.org/blog/?p=21

,----[ Quote ]
| From: jimall Mon Sep 9 11:09:33 1991
| To: billg steveb
| Cc: bradsi; jonl; mikemur; paulma
| Subject winball
| Date: Mon Sep 09 11:08:44 PDT 1991
|

| [...]
|
| We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger.
`----        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/0000/PX00948.pdf

MS exec's hunting trip: illegally chased and shot 4 antelopes

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/07/04/ms_execs_hunting_trip_illegally/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

,----[ Quote ]
| From: bradsi Fri Oct 18 14:24:00 1991
| To: dawntr; jonl; makemap; mikemur; philipg; vijayc
| Cc: garygi; hankv; lewisl; peteh
| Subject: Re: Excel brainstorm group
| Date: Fri, 18 Oct 91 14:20:38 PDT
|
| I'd be glad to help tilt lotus into into the death spiral. I could do it
| friday afternoon but not saturday. I could do it pretty much any time
| the followung week.
`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_1031.pdf

Microsoft Memories

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.tomevslin.com/2007/05/microsoft_memor.html

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=12

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/5000/PX05099.pdf

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, this is absolutely devastating!  As near as I can tell, the poor
| guy at Microsoft has been trying to support open standards against
| management.  He doesn't say much about the history, i.e. the fact that
| Microsoft didn't do anything with IE until they were recently forced to
| by Firefox competition.   The feedback is amazing.  Example:
|
| Quote:
| -------------
| So if you believe that the reason for IE's lack of standards support is
| something other than malice of forethought to strangle other browsers,
| you are wrong. If you have followed the anti-trust trial you would have
| seen the actual evidence for these decisions. Microsoft is an
| anti-competitive company run by unethical shitheads.
|
| This won't change until the workforce is slashed and the entire company
| culture changes. Steve Ballmer is the king of the shitheads, so when he
| goes things might get better. But until then, expect MS to only do the
| absolute minimum to defuse the worst criticism. Remember my words:
| unethical shitheads.
| -------------
| End quote
|
| Erik cited this same guy's blog a few days ago to support the notion
| that Microsoft is dedicated to standards compliance and is doing the
| reasonable thing (I think that's why he cited it).  The way this story
| has developed, it shows exactly the opposite, and is very revealing
| about sentiments out there in the developer world.
`----

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/cc1ad063dcc0400d

Google Goes Globe-Trotting

,----[ Quoet ]
| "Google is so different that it was almost impossible to reprogram them into
| this culture," says CEO Eric Schmidt.
`----

http://www.newsweek.com/id/67919

Behavior May Suggest We're Not Only Human

,----[ Quote ]
| When Emory University primatologist Frans de Waal read a news story that
| said Microsoft's chief executive, Steve Ballmer, had hurled a chair
| across the room on hearing an employee was going to work for rival
| Google, the scientist immediately made a connection with his own
| research: "When I see such behavior, I think of a chimpanzee."
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/18/AR2007031801130.html?nav=rss_nation

Beyond the PC: Ballmer's Battle Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| "The word 'intense' was invented for Ballmer, who met with us in a
| green room that had a paper sign with his name taped to the door.
| While he was at first warm and engaging, a question about security
| features shifted his mood. His eyes, soft when he smiles, grew dark.
| The usually boisterous Ballmer became unexpectedly quiet and soon
| exited the room without saying goodbye.
`----

http://www.smartmoney.com/mag/ceo/index.cfm?story=april2007

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
 13:05:01 up 37 days,  1:53,  4 users,  load average: 0.61, 1.12, 1.60