[News] iPods Turned to Linux PCs, Linux on a USB Protects Windows

  • Subject: [News] iPods Turned to Linux PCs, Linux on a USB Protects Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:13:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Turn your iPod into a PC

,----[ Quote ]
| And finally we’ve a practical step-by-step workshop that shows you how to
| create your own free, portable Linux PC on a USB stick using the Moka5
| virtual machine application.
`----

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2206142/turn-ipod-pc-3617949

Another miniature Linux PC in the news:

First look: Yoggie's Firestick Pico hardware firewall

,----[ Quote ]
| In contrast to software on the computer, the drive itself has a 300-megahertz
| processor running Linux and that is all the computing power it needs to do
| the job. Hence, the Firestick Pico doesn't rob the computer of its processing
| power the way that some anti-virus software programs do.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_7966166?nclick_check=1

Related:

iPod on the Outside, Linux on the Inside

,----[ Quote ]
| iPod Linux runs on first, second and third generation devices. Versions for
| additional players are still under development, according to its developers.
| A functional installation routine is currently only available for Mac
| computers. Installing iPod Linux does not mean going without the familiar
| Apple firmware.

Liberating iPods in Cambridge

,----[ Quote ]
| During the event, dubbed iRony, users were walked through the
| process of installing flexible and featureful free/open source
| software firmware -- without DRM -- onto their digital audio players.
|
| [...]
|
| Organizers set up laptops running Ubuntu GNU/Linux, Mac OS X,
| and Windows XP at the center of the room. iPod users brought
| their players to experienced users, who would determine the
| generation of the iPod and the current partition format, and
| inquire about the user's needs. Together they would decide on
| a firmware (RockBox, iPodLinux, or both) and walk through the
| process of installation. Meanwhile, others looked on to watch
| the process and learn how it was done. RockBox was installed
| on the majority of the iPods with great success.
`----

http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/31/2146245&from=rss

iTop

,----[ Quote ]
| Now I call it a laptop, and it technically is.  It is able to run a
| full OS (Linux).  And has full UIs.
`----

http://web.mac.com/owenmcgarry/iWeb/Downloads/Downloads/10E5A5E6-7AE6-4BFD-B454-11CBC427A9A1.html
http://tinyurl.com/yw3bh2

5.5g iPods can now run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux on iPod developer blog says the 5.5g iPods can now run Linux
`----

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2007/03/55g_ipods_can_now_run_lin.html

Breaking Open Facebook with Open Source Software (Part 2)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.idealog.us/2007/10/breaking-open-f.html