Re: [News] Rumours: NVIDIA to Follow AMD's Open Source Footsteps!

____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Sunday 13 January 2008 17:31 : \____

> Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed. Although, that said, I think this can also be applied to the way
>> Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer et al are spoken of here at times. It's all
>> very well making stupid remarks about 'Monkey-Boy' and so forth, but it
>> really does more to demean the poster than the object of the post. A bit
>> less of that all round might be beneficial. God knows I sling the insults
>> as well as anyone at certain posters here, but I could just as happily
>> stop if they would be less offensive in their anti-Linux stance.
>
> Yes, I'm not a fan of mud-slinging regardless of who the target is.
> I might have occasionally made a crack like 'the chairs are probably
> flying in Redmond' or some such, but that is typically about as far
> as I push it.  It just detracts from the fun technical arguments.
> There seems to be far too many personal grudges in this forum where
> people have become more motivated at showing up a rival than
> actually discussing software (Linux or otherwise).  Those grudges
> exist on both sides of the fence and I've even caught myself
> slipping into that mindset.  Really, the best way to show up the
> trolls is to behave with more class then them.

I agree. One thing I would add, however, is that other than technical aspects,
one must consider things like SCO which are ways to circumvent and work around
technical inferiority. If there wasn't so much abuse of this type, it would
then be safe to just discuss the technical merits of products. Economics,
politics and technology would be totally separable only in Utopia.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Code built upon another's is less prone to bugs
Tasks: 172 total,   1 running, 171 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie