Re: Desktop Linux Usage Keeps Growing Steadily (and Quietly) Every Year

____/ Rex Ballard on Friday 11 January 2008 05:34 : \____

> On Jan 10, 6:04 pm, "amicus_curious" <A...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "Rex Ballard" <rex.ball...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> That does mean that it is a failure or else things like the Zune, which grew
>> faster than desktop Linux by a wide margin, are roaring successes, too.
>
> Good question.  If Zune had been released by a small publicly held
> company, and had grown to that level, and had generated substantial
> profits, say 20% or better, it would be a huge growth company.
>
> The problem is that even if Zune doubled it's volume, it would only
> increase Microsoft's revenue by about 1%, and profits by almost
> nothing.  As a result, the stock went up about a dollar.
>
> Linux has grown to about 200 million users in 10 years.  Microsoft
> took almost 15 years to grow to that level.  Today, Microsoft claims
> to have about 1 BILLION PC users.  That makes Linux look like less
> than 20% of the total market.   If Linux were a stand-alone business,
> it would be one of the hottest growth markets available.
>
> Think about it, we have a market that has been doubling every 8-18
> months, for 15 years.  Not a bad business model, even if it hasn't
> taken Microsoft completely out of the market.
>
>> Linux has been nowhere and it is still nowhere and it is headed nowhere.  If
>> you have a notion to bring some excitement to the world, do it by creating
>> something that they can use with Windows.
>
> Probably the better thing to do is create something platform
> independent, that will run on Windows, Macs, and Linux.  Those seem to
> get a lot more attention.  Examples include FireFox, OpenOffice,
> Eclipse, Thunderbird, and Adobe Flash.  I think I forgot to mention
> Java didn't I?
>
>> That's the only thing really being used today.
>
> But is that really true?  If I can sell 200 million copies to Linux
> and Mac users, for $10 each, that's $1 billion in revenue.  If I can
> ALSO sell 200 million copies to Windows users for $40 each (to cover
> the royalties on calls to Microsoft libraries), there is another $4
> billion in revenue.
>
> Sure, that's nothing compared to Microsoft's $60 billion/year in
> revenue, but it's not bad for a software company that has only been in
> business for a few years.

Rex, I'm amazed at the sight of you keeping so polite when these shills attack
you so viciously. I applaud this, but frankly I don't think you should respond
to them. amicus_curious (Bill Weisgerber) is obviously a long-time shill, so
you're wasting your time with him. Remember that Churchill story you recently
mentioned.

Roy S. Schestowitz     \ Spread Mozilla Firefox.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Cpu(s): 25.0%us,  4.1%sy,  1.0%ni, 65.9%id,  3.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st