WARNING: Greg Cox (Former Microsoft Employee) Astroturfing in COLA

  • Subject: WARNING: Greg Cox (Former Microsoft Employee) Astroturfing in COLA
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:38:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
More shills for the killfile. Unsurprisingly, all his posts are in defence of
Microsoft.

------------------------

  From:   Greg Cox <gregc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.advocacy
  Subject:   Re: Microsoft Still Lobbies in Kerala (Linux State)
  Date:   Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:39:55 GMT
In article <1eaknw3ylr2kc.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, erik@despam-
funkenbusch.com says...
> On 17 Dec 2006 20:47:32 -0800, Rex Ballard wrote:
>
> >> They wrote some fairly good apps,
> > Actually most of these apps were purchased from third-rate competitors,
>
> Some were indeed purchased from competitors, and some might even be called
> third rate, though most were probably 2nd rate.  Microsoft seldom buys a
> company at the top.  But they typically enhance said application a great
> deal in the process.  Certainly Word today (or even Word from 10 years ago)
> is far beyond the simple word process they bought in 1983.
>
> > some of whom were simply creating cheap knock-offs of superior products
> > such as Lotus 1-2-3, Corel Draw, Harvard Graphics, and WordPerfect.
>
> Microsoft did not buy Excel, it was written entirely by its own company,
> though Multiplan was a purchase many years ago.

I don't believe either Word or Multiplan were purchased but were
completely developed in-house.  If my memory serves, Charles Simoni was
the architect for Word and probably Multiplan although Jeff Harbors may
also deserve some of the credit.  In any case, both Word and Multiplan
were in development at Microsoft in 1981 when I became the 8086 assembly
language guy that was responsible for the p-code interpreter that hosted
Word, MultiPlan, and the other products in the MultiTools line.

As for Word For Windows, I know for a fact that it was completely
written from scratch at Microsoft because I was on the version 1.0
development team...

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
those that understand binary and those that don't." - Unknown