Re: 12 Companies Nabbed by the Business Software Alliance

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 10 January 2008 21:32 : \____

> <Quote>
> Already forgotten Major League Baseball's Mitchell Report? Here's
> another kind of "cheater's" list that companies will want to avoid.
> Here are 12 companies who have been fined by the Business Software
> Alliance for not playing by the rules of asset management.
>
> The Business Software Alliance (BSA) spends much of its time and
> resources fighting piracy and software license violations for software
> vendors. Here's a sample list of companies who have paid settlements
> for software license violations since December 2006.
> </Quote>

http://www.baselinemag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=&s=2100&a=222694&po=1,00.asp

These people (they are a Microsoft proxy primarily) also harass free software.

What about selling free software

,----[ Quote ]
| Gervase Markham, the Mozilla Foundation's licensing officer, in an
| article in the Times Online, talks about being questioned by a
| northern UK Trading License Officer about giving away software.
|
| The trading officer was concerned by a group that was burning the
| free Mozilla Browser on CDs and selling it.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/what_about_selling_free_software

Legality of Fedora in production environment

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently the appropriate laws in my country (Russia) have beens
| ignificantly toughened. Now the police can check for illegal software
| usage by their own initiative (without request from the owner). The
| tax inspection demands that software should be registered at
| accounts departments.
|
| During such a checking, the user is obliged now to show all hardcopy
| license documents (with original signatures and stamps).
`----

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00697.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
Cpu(s): 24.9%us,  4.0%sy,  1.0%ni, 66.0%id,  3.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st