Re: [News] [Rival] Lackluster Response to Service Pack 1 of Windows Vista

Verily I say unto thee, that John Locke spake thusly:

Perhaps XP SP3 will extend the life of XP until Windows 7 is released
sometime in 2009/2010 thus eclipsing Vista.

Indeed, this is pretty much what happened to WinME.

I would view this as an opportunity in the meantime for GNU Linux to
grasp a bigger share of the desktop

Yes and this time it should be a much easier proposition than in the
days of WinME, since there is no /current/ Windows alternative (at the
time of WinME there was Win2K).

Now it's just Vista (which nobody wants) or the seven year old XP ... or
one of the many better non-Windows alternatives.

There's also greater awareness these days of Linux, Microsoft's illegal
business practises, and the general poor quality of their products
(including hardware and services).

but it will be a uphill battle and the beast doesn't play fair.

That's pretty much the only reason Microsoft succeeds, they break the
rules and stack the jury.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 23:11:32 up 40 days, 20:47,  4 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.12, 0.08