[News] [Rival] More Microsoft Defection to Hardware (Alongside Charity-killing Otellini)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] More Microsoft Defection to Hardware (Alongside Charity-killing Otellini)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:47:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Terabyte Memory Chips Expected From Microsoft-Backed Firm In 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Nanochip recently finalized its latest round of funding, including $14
| million from venture capitalist that include Intel Capitol and JK&B Capital.
| Founded in 1998, Nanochip's previous funding rounds included $10 million in
| 2006. It counts Microsoft Corp. among its backers.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205918795

Related:

Microsoft Might Buy Logitech

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinions seem to be split over whether the idea is either practical
| or "good," and as a further problem, there's not much evidence that the idea
| is being seriously considered.  Still, it's Friday, and a rumor that
| Microsoft will buy Logitech is making the rounds.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/01/11/microsoft-might-buy-logitech

Microsoft Looks Within to Design and Test Chips

,----[ Quote ]
| For more than two decades, Microsoft's software and
| Intel's processors were so wedded that the pairingc
| ame to be known as Wintel. But as that computing era
| wanes, Microsoft is turning to a new source of chip
| design: its own labs.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/19/technology/19soft.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin
http://tinyurl.com/ydtq7k

The importance of Zune to Microsoft Corp.

,----[ Quote ]
| Zune is Microsoft's attempt to integrate hardware and software *and*
| to become the channel for (music) content -- thus creating an integratedp
| lay far-different from its Window's OS business model where Microsoft
| mainly provides OS & important application software while hardware an
| content for users is provided by other companies.
`----

http://www.thebizofcoding.com/2006/09/the_importance_of_zune_to_micr.html

China's Changhong seeks $136 mln stake in Huayi

,----[ Quote ]
| Sichuan Changhong Electric Co, a Chinese electrical appliance maker partly
| owned by Microsoft Corp, said it will bid for a controlling stake in Huayi
| Compressor Co 000404.SZ in a deal that could be worth about 1 billion yuan
| ($136 million).
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINPEK15028120071224?rpc=44

How will Windows survive the death of the PC?

,----[ Quote ]
| For Microsoft, the answer is critical, since Windows is still not a
| natural fit for a mobile platform that has no PC heritage.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/16/samsung_runcom_help_microsoft/

Microsoft to join municipal Wi-Fi fray

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is jumping into the municipal wireless space with a deal
| to provide local content and ads for MetroFi's free wireless
| Internet service in Portland, Ore., by the end of this year,
| the companies are expected to announce on Wednesday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6135679.html

Gates to generate your electricity

,----[ Quote ]
| His personal investment vehicle -- a nice drive if you can afford
| it -- Cascade Investments is today expected to partner with New
| Mexico-based PNM Resources on electricity generation and trading.

Microsoft takes it to the bank

,----[ Quote ]
| Is the world ready for Microsoft Banking? Banks are traditionally
| very conservative with their software and hardware choices, and
| most still rely on expensive mainframes with multiple levels of
| failure protection. However, banks are also making a huge push
| to expand into other services, such as investment planning, and
| all these new services require new software. If they are
| successful, Microsoft will be laughing all the way to the, er, bank.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/11/14/5956

Microsoft Refuses To Acknowledge Major Wireless Headset Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| Weeks after the release of the new Wireless 360 headset, many
| customers have complained about hundreds upon hundreds of documented
| flaws with no official response or product recall from MS.
`----

http://www.2old2play.com/News/Microsoft_Refuses_To_Acknowledge_Major_Wireless_Headset_Flaws

Intel CEO mum on Vista's impact

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9846349-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

,----[ Quote ]
| That [Linux] software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
| is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
| The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
| the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
| has said it is supporting both operating systems.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Africa's digital poster child [Intel's illegal dumping]

,----[ Quote ]