Re: mysterious malware

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 24 January 2008 23:59 : \____

> On Jan 24, 2:10 pm, Tim Smith <reply_in_gr...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> http://www.linux.com/feature/125548
>>
>> --
>> --Tim Smith
>
> It's a conspiracy by Linux guys top spread malware to Windows machines.

I posted about it a couple of days ago. It seems likely that Windows zombies
let passwords leak out, which then grant hacker access to servers that happen
to run Linux.

Apache sites scalped by hack

,----[ Quote ]
| Don Jackson, from Secureworks said that the hackers probably used stolen
| log-in details to gain access and then infected the Apache servers with a
| pair of files that generate constantly-changing JavaScript.
|
| If a punter visits the hacked site they get walloped with nine exploits
| including a recent QuickTime vulnerability, the long-running Windows MDAC
| bug, and a fixed flaw in Yahoo Messenger.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/22/apache-sites-scalped-hack

I haven't read many of the reports carefully, so I'm not 100% sure about it,
but it seems like the problem was passwords not being reset, in which case it
clearly a case of authentication not even at a social engineering level. It's
just people sharing or losing or letting go their access privileges. Cracker
take over their accounts this way...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"
roy      pts/2        cg093a.halls.man Thu Jan 24 17:44   still logged in