Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3 Comes in September, More ODF Comes to Macs

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 24 January 2008 08:00 : \____

> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> I don't think you can base the results off the register....  The
>>> register is clearly anti-ms.  I would expect that most of it's
>>> readership is as well.
>>
>> The Register is more anti-bullshit.  (Though they produce their own
>> sometimes.)
>>

> In the shill world, everything is either "for" or "against".  "For"
> means it presents the approved Microsoft view, "against" means that it
> questions things.  The Register questions things, which is why, of
> course, it's read by so many technical people, irrespective of what
> their choice of software might be.
>
> ... and people were asking me why Mr Shelton was in my killfile...

I was going to respond to Tom with a similar argument (no, he's not in my kf).
The Register it /FINE/. It's honest.

Mind highlight...

What happened to the guts?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of one thing I am fairly certain. Microsoft all but eliminated
| mainstream software competition. As a result, Microsoft became
| the primary source of advertising revenue for mainstream publications.
| You don't bite the hand that feeds you. So instead of publishing
| issues calling for a worldwide boycott of Vista because it focuses
| more on what you can't do than what you can do, you see special
| editions praising Vista as the greatest advancement in computing
| since Windows 95. Granted we all know that Windows 95 was a dog
| from day one, but by the 90s, the mainstream press had already
| become rampant with Microsoft sycophants and they pushed Windows
| 95 like it was the second coming.
|
| [...]
|
| In short, I'd love to see a mainstream publication become an
| advocate for the consumer once again.
|
| As noted above, there are exceptions, including Linux Journal,
| most other FOSS-centered publications and even The Register.
| But we're the little guys.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000173

Not under "FOSS-centered publications".

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
 09:00:02 up 5 days, 18:40,  3 users,  load average: 0.68, 0.59, 0.70