Re: [News] Ed Burnette Calls for Linus Torvalds to Embrace GPLv3

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 24 January 2008 08:12 : \____

>> ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 22 January 2008 15:13 : \____

>>> Unfortunately there's a lot of that about. Just look at some of the
>>> comments in the Gobuntu mailing list, or even the LKML.
>>>
>>> Certain people are more than happy to benefit from others' Free
>>> Software contributions , but when it comes to defending the Freedom that
>>> *enables* them to use that software, they suddenly become pragmatists.
>>> Selling oneself out is bad enough, but selling out the Free Software
>>> community is unforgivable.
>>>
>>> It's not a difficult concept. If one *wants* the benefit of Free
>>> Software, then one should embrace the Free Software philosophy. If not,
>>> then the world is full of proprietary and encumbered software to choose
>>> from - they should use it, rather than try to poison the well by
>>> changing Free Software into their "pragmatic" vision. IMHO that is not
>>> pragmatism ... it's nothing more than sabotage.
>>
>> I was rather stunned to find that even in a Free software development list
>> you'd have people who are merely seeking to exploit. This wasn't the first
>> such incident and I've been on that list since the start (2004). Either way,
>> Matt Mullenweg was willing to listen, so it was worth bringing up.
>>
>> It seems like many GPL haters just use v3 as an excuse to attack. I know two
>> BSD bloggers who did this.
>>

> I was genuinely shocked to see some of the people here that I had
> considerable respect for suddenly become rabid, irrational beings, when
> the possibility of taking free software and proprietarising it might be
> taken away, at least for the kernel, through GPLv3.
>
> There are many people who, it seems, are happy to ride on the back of
> the efforts of others, withholding key information which ensures that the
> GPL's intended "freedoms" cannot be met, whilst claiming to be supportive
> of "free software".
>
> It's more plundering than pragmatism.

It's free as in freeloading. It's a mindset. They think of FOSS as freeware or
public domain material.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else
         run-level 2  2008-01-18 14:24                   last=