Re: Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 23 January 2008 08:57 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ jim on Wednesday 23 January 2008 04:29 : \____
>>
> < snip >
>
>>> Is OPENSuse (possibly poisoned) under the same Microsoft licensing
>>> agreement that Microsoft reached with Novell concerning SUSE?
>>
>> There is a more accurate assessment of this in Groklaw (search for "pledge
>> to opensuse developers"), but the impression that I get is that Microsoft
>> puts of them sheep in the same pen. OpenSUSE is merely helping Novell
>> build SLES and SLED, which are just Microsoft cash cows.
>>

> Roy, they are *not* MS cash cows.
> Novell has a net profit from that agreement with MS
>
> You might disagree with their stance, but fact is that companies thinking of
> using linux tend to think rather different about that matter. They prefer
> dealing with Novell precisely because they interoperate with MS

Okay, I won't argue with you on this subject, but I *do* hope that you are
aware of the fact that  for each sale of SLED and SLES Microsoft *does* get
paid. The deal with Novell made it explicit that the payment is for software
patents, which are illegal in Germany.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
Cpu(s): 24.3%us,  3.9%sy,  1.0%ni, 66.9%id,  3.4%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st