Re: [News] Ed Burnette Calls for Linus Torvalds to Embrace GPLv3

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:56:26 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> It looks as though WP will
> go v3 some time in the future, but I had to argue with Tivo apologists,
> who in turn seemed like they simply didn't like the GNU philosophy _in
> general_, just as Stallman used to warn.

To me, what Tivo did is an ok compromise.  Their product, as envisioned,
cannot be entirely FOSS.  they need some sort of business model.

They're still distributing Linux.

Hypothetical:  I doubt that even the GPLv3 would really stop the
*problem*, tivoization, which it's meant to fix.  Why couldn't Tivo
simply come up with a close source app to sit on top of Linux?  Would
that not work?

-Thufir