Re: [News] Ed Burnette Calls for Linus Torvalds to Embrace GPLv3

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 22 January 2008 08:53 : \____

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/05/10/223693/linux-guru-backs-new-gnu-licence.htm

> Everyone will realise, in the end, that Tivoisation is not significantly
> different to taking BSD code and using it without giving anything back.

Linus recently said, "Linux is much bigger than me." He ought to realise that
Linux is also far bigger than Tivo. This ought to stop soon, before companies
see Linus' stance as safe a path to pulling more Tivos.

Just before the new year began, I raised the issue of GPLv3 in WordPress. The
lead developers were curious enough and one of them /did/ say that he met
someone who wanted to 'pull a Tivo' on WordPress. It looks as though WP will
go v3 some time in the future, but I had to argue with Tivo apologists, who in
turn seemed like they simply didn't like the GNU philosophy _in general_, just
as Stallman used to warn.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com