Re: [News] Nortel to Ditch Windows for GNU/Linux Desktops?

> Nortel considers Linux desktops for its staff
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Nortel CIO Steve Bandrowczak, who joined the Canadian telecoms and network
> | equipment vendor last July, said "more and more CIOs are looking at Linux
> | desktop for reasons of TCO" and argued that the technology "is receiving the
> | same level of attention today as when Linux started on servers."
> `----
>
> http://www.mbtmag.com/articleXml/LN731846314.html

This is what I've been saying for years.  The desktop Linux adoption
curve looks like the server curve, just lagging it by some number of
years.  During the first 7 years of its life, very few people took
server Linux seriously.  Numerous pundits repeatedly declared it
doomed.  Now, nobody would dare say something so obviously stupid.

But of course now the same things are said about desktop Linux,
often by the same pundits.  If you go back far enough, you can find
people saying the same thing about the Internet, desktop PCs, and
just about every new technology that came along and transformed an
industry.

I won't make any predictions about if or when Linux will 'take over'
the desktop... but I wouldn't rule it out either.  We've seen bigger
tech transformations over the last couple of decades.  At the very
least, Linux will grab a much more noticeable slice of the desktop
over the next few years.

Thad
all the ingredients on the label.