Re: [News] [Rival] H-P Still Doing Microsoft's Dirty Laundry

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:00:22 +0100, Homer wrote:

>> Isn't there a law against this? Called "false advertising" or something
>> along those lines?
>
> In the specific example (the mini-notebook) they get away with it by
> printing a disclaimer in tiny print on the back of the flyer, and even on
> the front it only reads "recommends" rather than "uses" or "needs", so
> that's how they game the system.
>
> There may be a case for /misleading/ advertising though. I'm not sure if
> the ASA (or the US equivalent - if there is such a thing) considers this
> in the same light.
>
> Certainly the ASA have taken them to task before over /other/ ads, mainly
> because of the Vole's predilection for violence and pornography.

Not only that, the ASA also had them pull ads comparing Windows with Linux
because they were totally incorrect:

http://www.cxolinux.com/linux/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=1393&cat_id=1202

They also had M$ pull other ads which compared Windows to Linux showing
Windows in a more favourable light....*except* M$ were comparing their
present offering with a Linux product (RedHat IIRC) of TWO years before!

The South African ASA also pulled M$ ads which inferred that the "hacker*
was now extinct" because it was misleading.
http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/business/2003/0303201315.asp?S=Software&A=SFT&O=FPMS

* They actually meant cracker, but the popular press *will* use the term
hacker.

--
The little scamps! It's the oldest trick in the book: capture your ship,
 turn it into a planet, then explore a macro universe in a laundry basket.