[News] Students in Nigeria Get Mandriva Linux Installed

ITAN partners Mandriva Linux, Omatek, Zinox, Brian, Beta on OSPC

,----[ Quote ]
| At the just concluded 22nd National Conference and 30th Anniversary of the
| Nigeria Computer Society (NCS), the Information Technology (Industry)
| Association of Nigeria (ITAN), a major interest group in the Society
| announced its partnership with Mandriva West Africa for Mandriva Linux (ML)
| an Open Source Operating and Application software on all the PCs, laptops,
| notebooks and thumbdrives for its Old Students’ Computer In School Initiative
| (OS_CISI) now branded “OSPC” ie Old Students’ Personal Computer.
`----

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11420&Itemid=0

Just installed Mandriva this morning. Compiz and Metisse work out of the box,
all hardware detected perfectly. Dual head and dual-core AMD, which is gaining
at the moment:

AMD gains ground on Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Chipzilla saw its sales fall by 0.7 per cent and the outfit has 79.7 per cent
| share of the market. Nothing that would give Intel executives too much of a
| panicattack, but it could be indicative of how successful AMD's stronger PC
| microprocessor product portfolio has become.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/02/amd-gains-ground-intel

Also had some fun multi-booting 64-bit and 32-bit on the same PC. Others have
similar fun (but with Windows too):

Quad-Boot Fun, and A Correction

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the good news. I now have my Fujitsu Lifebook S6510 set up to
| quad-boot XP/Ubuntu/openSuSE/Mandriva! That's certainly worth a few giggles.
| More importantly, it will make it a lot easier for me to track and compare
| the various Linux versions, on the same platform. It actually all went very
| smoothly; details below.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008611o-2000498448b,00.htm

Recent:

Nigeria: Unilag, Mandriva Linus in ICT Partnership

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva Linux, the global editor of Linux distribution, with head office in
| Paris, incorporated a subsidiary, Mandriva Linux West Africa Limited with
| headquarters in Lagos .
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805220538.html

Related:

There's always hope...

| And to back his buddy, the MS dude (Neil Holloway) in charge of Europe
| branch: " [snip Tim Funkenbusch Quark-like garbage] " said Holloway.
|
| Talk about spinning to a ridiculous level!
|
| If it isn't about the cost of software, why don't you give all your products
| away for free? You can't teach ANY computer skills without the software. And
| guess what? MS software costs money!
|
| Overall, we're talking more than 100,000 Classmate PCs when the deployment is
| complete. That's a crap load of licenses!
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/21831

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are sticking with that platform," said the official, who would not give
| his name.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124
http://tinyurl.com/27ycq9

And the Nigerian government chose Windows [It didn't] why?

,----[ Quote ]
| That’s precisely what Nigeria did. Having used the Classmate with Mandriva
| installed, I simply can’t find any flaws in the system that would lead to
| such a switch. No deficiencies compared to Windows, no performance problems,
| no installation problems, nothing. Mandriva just works in this setting and
| works well. No wonder François Bancilhon was angry.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1338

Living with Mandriva 2008

,----[ Quote ]