[News] MSN-ish Press on GNU/Linux Growth

The Growth Stocks You Should Be Buying

,----[ Quote ]
| And if you doubt that the hackeriffic Linux platform is ready for a hard sell
| into the corporate space, consider that NYSE Euronext (NYSE: NYX) now runs
| its trading operations on Red Hat-powered machines.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux is a far superior OS system than Microsoft. Just look at the top ...
| super computers and find out what they're running (Linux, of course). Right
| now LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) is taking a nice chunk of the market
| and is project to do more of it.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2008/06/30/the-growth-stocks-you-should-be-buying.aspx

Recent:

Wall Street becoming Linux stronghold

,----[ Quote ]
| Wall Street firms increasingly are buying into Linux, but some still need
| convincing that open source licensing and support models won't make using the
| technology more trouble than its worth.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/061208-linux-wall-street.html

Wall Street still likes Linux, but for new reasons

,----[ Quote ]
| A few years ago, financial services firms tended to point to low cost and
| customizability of components as their major reasons for turning to Linux and
| open source. But at the Linux/Open Source on Wall Street show today,
| panelists devoted more of their remarks to topics such as multi-OS server
| consolidation on mainframes and creating realtime Linux applications for PC
| servers, aptly reflecting the growing complexity of software environments in
| financial firms and elsewhere.
|
| [...]
|
| Speaking with BetaNews later, however, Graves said that, in his opinion, the
| main benefit of Linux right now is that Linux appllications will run --
| either virtualized, or not -- on virtually any hardware system, including X86
| PCs and mainframes.
|
| Credit Suisse's Bubba, meanwhile, views the main benefit of Linux as lying in
| its wealth of real-time applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Wall_Street_still_likes_Linux_but_for_new_reasons/1207083805

NYSE Euronext banks on Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| If anyone out there persists in believing that Linux isn't ready for serious
| prime time, NYSE Euronext's dependence on Red Hat should finally lay that
| silly notion to rest. As announced, the New York Stock Exchange Euronext
| dumped its proprietary UNIX heritage (AIX, HP UX, Solaris) for the freedom,
| flexibility, and performance of Linux.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9942680-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Related:

Linux steps up to power NZ Stock Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand Stock Exchange is moving to a Linux platform for its
| settlement and clearing system, replacing its existing HP NonStop platform
| and applications in order to reduce cost and increase flexibility.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/F586239BCCA7593FCC2573F00001488E

HP Linux servers bolster NYSE trading app

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1285921,00.html