[News] Recession a Blow to Microsoft, Blessing to GNU/Linux

Linux can save us

,----[ Quote ]
| In case you haven't noticed, the economy is collapsing.
|
| You can't afford to drive anywhere, and, even if you could, you may not have
| a GM car to drive there for much longer. Some of you may be losing your
| houses, and the mortgage companies that gave you that mortgage in the first
| place? IndyMac went down late last week and now the question of the day is
| which major national bank will follow it down.
|
| What does this have to do with Linux? Everything.
|
| With both people and companies having to squeeze a nickel's worth of good out
| of every penny, how long do you think people will be paying Microsoft for its
| imperfect operating systems and office suites? Vista Business SP1 'upgrade'
| has a list price of $199.95. Office 2007 Professional is $329.95. That's
| $529.90, or as much as a new low-end PC. Or, I could go with Ubuntu Linux for
| zero money down.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux_can_save_us

Microsoft has already lowered expectations (so that it can 'beat' them). When
Windows is sold at $18 apiece, trouble lies ahead.

Recent:

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide