Re: [News] Single Unified GNU/Linux Distribution a Curse

____/ 7 on Tuesday 15 July 2008 18:47 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Too many Linux distributions?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In the end, there isn?t any advantage to having only one dominant Linux
>> | distribution either.
>

> Its completely fallacious.
> You release your one and only dominant Linux distribution
> and I'll release mine!!!!

Exactly.

'Gold standard' Red Hat -> Mandrake -> Mandriva

Debian -> Ubuntu -> Mint...

>> Yes, new users wouldn?t be confused and there would
>> | be only one way to install software, making it easier for package
>> | maintainers. But what would be the point? To lure in new users? To take
>> | on Windows and OS X? Why? There?s this feeling among some people that
>> | Linux HAS to grow, that it HAS to become the dominant OS, because it?s
>> | (arguably) so much better. I don?t agree. It would be nice if some
>> | people knew that the answer to their virus-ridden problems is freely
>> | available, but that?s all. Otherwise, let people use what they?re happy
>> | with.
>> `----
>>
>> http://celettu.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/too-many-linux-distributions/

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
Tasks: 140 total,   2 running, 138 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie