[News] Single Unified GNU/Linux Distribution a Curse

Too many Linux distributions?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, there isn’t any advantage to having only one dominant Linux
| distribution either. Yes, new users wouldn’t be confused and there would be
| only one way to install software, making it easier for package maintainers.
| But what would be the point? To lure in new users? To take on Windows and OS
| X? Why? There’s this feeling among some people that Linux HAS to grow, that
| it HAS to become the dominant OS, because it’s (arguably) so much better. I
| don’t agree. It would be nice if some people knew that the answer to their
| virus-ridden problems is freely available, but that’s all. Otherwise, let
| people use what they’re happy with.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/too-many-linux-distributions/

Many are also very unique. New examples:

Expertise...

Linux guru? then switch to Arch Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| But, I happen to know what video card I have, the wireless card I have, the
| printer I have, and don't need a stupid scanner. So, why have all these
| unnecessary modules and daemons loaded up. They're only using up resources
| (yes, I know, memory is cheap, but there are other side effects).
`----

http://www.antonywilliams.com/2008/07/linux-guru-then-switch-to-arch-linux.html

Scale...

Dang, Darn, Damn Small Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the means of operating DSL is as a RAM drive image. This allows for a
| fixed read-only operating system image that flat-out can not be written to. A
| second RAM “drive partition” is set to be the data storage and user profile
| settings record. The system image can simply be restored by re-booting the
| computer. For industrial applications this is the dream system setup. The
| user is allowed to make whatever temporary setting changes he wishes but they
| get wiped and replaced with the default setup on the next boot. Perfect!
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008721o-2000440676b,00.htm

Flexibility...

Installing Gentoo 2008.0 Live CD