Re: CNET Does Very Weird Advocacy, GNU/Linux Rebuts

On Jul 13, 3:43 am, Homer <use...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Rex Ballard spake thusly:

> > On Jul 12, 10:32 pm, Homer <use...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Verily I say unto thee, that thufir spake thusly:

> >> It's a ridiculous situation, if you think about it. It's be like
> >> Ford requiring separate production lines for exactly the same model
> >> of car, depending on whether the eventual customer was going to
> >> fill it with fuel from either Texaco or Shell.
>
> > Actually, it would be more like when Mercedes created both Diesel and
> > Unleaded versions of their cars.  The main care was pretty much the
> > same, but the different engine requirements meant different
> > transmission requirements (since Diesels have a limited RPM range),
> > so even though the chassis and differential were the same, there were
> > elements of the assembly line that were different based on different
> > requirements.
>
> I disagree. Unlike diesel versus petrol vehicles, the PC will take
> either type of "fuel", so segregating PC models into Linux and Windows
> production lines makes absolutely no sense at all, and therefore appears
> to be more like a form of bigotry (much like certain other forms of
> segregation) than anything reasonably justifiable. It's clear where this
> bigotry originates.

The PC will take either form, but the manufacturer ships it with
Windows/Vista pre-installed.  If you want to put in Linux, it is a
degree of effort that would be comparable to the effort involved is
swapping out the transmission, relative to the cost and effort.
Figure that a modern Automobile costs about $20,000 and swapping out
the transmission would cost about $2000 or 10% of the price if you
paid someone to do it.  The PC costs about $400 and replacing the OS
costs about $100 if you paid someone to do it.

Assuming your time has value, and it takes 3-4 hours to install Linux,
that's a pretty hefty "price tag", considering that someone with the
expertise and know-how to install and configure Linux also has the
skills to earn at least $50/hour.

> > Microsoft places legal restrictions on what can be put on a drive
> > that contains Vista.
>
> Well Microsoft's restrictions should not /be/ legal then. Surely such
> demands should be subject to antitrust investigation.

Given Microsoft's substantial contributions to the Bush campaign in
2000, it's highly unlikely that the current administration would lift
a finger to interfere with Microsoft.  The various states have
presented something like 2000 complaints of non-compliance, all of
which the DOJ has decided unilaterally, without investigation, to be
"without merit", including complaints filed by HP, Dell, and Toshiba
about Microsoft's attempts to interfere with their efforts to sell
machines with Linux on them.

Remember that Microsoft revoked ALL unsold Windows licenses for the
Compaq Prolinea line when Compaq removed the Internet Explorer icon
from the desktop (but didn't remove IE), and put the Netscape Icon in
it's place.

It's Microsoft's ability and willingness to unilaterally revoke ALL
licenses if there is ANY violation of the license agreement that gives
them such incredible bargaining leverage.  Of course, they don't make
those threats via e-mail or fax anymore, they prefer a more "personal"
approach, like having Steve Ballmer hop on his private jet, walk into
the offical's office, and explain that if the organization violates
the terms of the Microsoft license agreement, that Microsoft will have
to disable all of the Microsoft Windows licenses (disabling the
machines in the process).

There have been many discussions in this newsgroup about various
Microsoft licenses and their terminology.  In numerous cases, the
language is "plain english", but can easily be interpreted one of two
ways.  The other party (OEM, corporate customer, government
agency,...) naturally assumes the interpretation that is favorable to
them, but it is only when Microsoft decides to engage in it's
extortion tactics that they point out the "Real" interpretation, which
will prevail in court, because Microsoft wrote the final version of
the agreement.

The key here is that the customer has AGREED to be extorted, as a
condition of using the copyrighted software.  What would otherwise be
a criminal activity is made legal because it's part of a copyright
license that the customer is supposed to have read and understood
before signing or otherwise signifying his agreement.

This is not without precedent.  There was a case many years back in
which a dominatrix was accused of murdering a customer, but she
produced a document in which the customer agreed that he understood
that there was a risk of death, and accepted the responsibility.  The
courts eventually ruled that even though the result of the contract
was manslaughter, the contract was legally binding, and therefore, the
woman could not me held responsible unless the prosecutor could prove
that the contract was signed under duress, (which they could not).