Re: CNET Does Very Weird Advocacy, GNU/Linux Rebuts

Verily I say unto thee, that Rex Ballard spake thusly:

> The PC will take either form, but the manufacturer ships it with
> Windows/Vista pre-installed.  If you want to put in Linux, it is a
> degree of effort that would be comparable to the effort involved is
> swapping out the transmission, relative to the cost and effort.

It's my understanding that the way OEMs deploy Windows is by using an
image that is copied to their HDDs en mass in a separate process first,
then the drives are added to the production line for system assembly.
There are different images for each model, but each drive that is cloned
from any given image has the same SID (Security Identifier), that must
be changed during the testing phase, along with serialisation for the
customer.

Are you saying that the drives used on the Linux production lines are
those same drives preinstalled with Windows, and must then be wiped and
installed with Linux by a technician, and that it's this manual
intervention that makes the process slower; more difficult and more
expensive?

If that's the case, then why don't OEMs use exactly the same process for
deploying Linux images as Windows? Indeed the /Linux/ images would be
even /easier/ to deploy, because one doesn't need to worry about SIDs or
serialisation.

I fail to see how this process could possibly be more expensive for
Linux, provided the OEMs actually do it properly.

> Given Microsoft's substantial contributions to the Bush campaign in
> 2000, it's highly unlikely that the current administration would lift
> a finger to interfere with Microsoft.

Yes, it's a case of the corrupt policing the corrupt.

Let's hope Obama has better moral fibre.

[snip excellent summary of Microsoft's racketeering]

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Stallman has frequently pointed out, Free Software is by no means
| antithetical to making money: it's just a question of how you make
| money." ~ Glyn Moody: http://tinyurl.com/4wn2l2 (ComputerworldUK)

 20:38:58 up 205 days, 17:14,  4 users,  load average: 1.48, 1.26, 1.24