Re: CNET Does Very Weird Advocacy, GNU/Linux Rebuts

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amicus_curious
<ACDC@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:01:23 -0400
<4877bc21$0$15565$ec3e2dad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> Microsoft's doing pretty well at surviving. ;-)  But
>> they might have to step up their game plan at some point,
>> and completely obliterate the very idea of FOSS -- which
>> would be the rough equivalent of barbed wire taming the
>> Wild Wild West.
>>
> Well, that is a hypothetical that has not had a lot of potential so far.  I
> think the freebie notion of open source is more of a detriment to those who
> might oppose Microsoft commercially than to Microsoft itself.  If you wanted
> to start a competitive product, you would be up against the OSS stuff as an
> equal and that would give you more problems than being a giant in opposition
> to a dwarf gives to Microsoft.  As someone keeps pointing out here, there
> multiple hundreds of millions of units shipping each year, the vast majority
> being Windows machines and to just address that sort of volume credibly
> requires some vast resources to be in place before anyone will put any
> reliance on your proposal.  Linux suppliers such as Red Hat and Novell,
> etc., do not command that kind of credibility.

Correct.  Of course, they do represent a thorn in
Microsoft's side, a thorn that can draw blood (and also
wake them up -- the essence of competition, as it were).

DRM is not doing well, either, though the iPhone is
making a brave show of it.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);