Re: CNET Does Very Weird Advocacy, GNU/Linux Rebuts

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amicus_curious
<ACDC@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:03:42 -0400
<4877684c$0$15588$ec3e2dad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>

>> It's all relative.
>>
> And it is all useless information for almost everyone involved.  It is
> nothing more than a scorecard and hardly influences decisions.

It's not even that.  The CPI (based on the value of the
dollar and/or a basketful of consumer goods in the fixed
year 1970) would be far more useful than the current
inflation gains or losses, which are reported per month
(0.7%, 0.2%, etc. etc. ad nauseum), and are probably cooked
six ways from Sunday.

> The only
> purpose of market share studies is to guide one's marketing effort in the
> future and, taken in such broad terms, the numbers reported for Linux have
> no effective use.  The numbers reported for Windows are the same way.  What
> different tactic would Linux employ if their number were 3% rather than .7%?

Linux has no tactics.  Did you mean RedHat, IBM, or what?  At best,
Linus and company might increase headcount to support more devices,
or spearhead an effort for standardization of how modules interact
with the rest of the kernel -- assuming such hasn't already been done.

> I cannot think of any.  For that matter, what different tactic would
> Microsoft employ if their share were 90% instead of 95%?  They would be daft
> to make any change to a strategy that produced even a 60% share opposed to a
> host of competitors that might range from 5% to 20% even.

The attacker must vanquish, the defender need only survive.

Microsoft's doing pretty well at surviving. ;-)  But
they might have to step up their game plan at some point,
and completely obliterate the very idea of FOSS -- which
would be the rough equivalent of barbed wire taming the
Wild Wild West.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }