[News] A Look at Sun's Free Software Wares and Stack

Open Source Tools Fuel Web, Desktop Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystem's Sun Web Stack, an integrated enterprise-quality AMP is
| ready to roll and the core components of the Sun Java System Web Server 7.0
| and Sun Java System Web Proxy are open source. Sun hopes it means faster time
| to market for web developers. Sun Microsystem's Sun Web Stack is an
| integrated enterprise-quality AMP (Apache/MySQL/Perl or PHP) for Solaris and
| Linux operating systems.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Open-Source-Tools-Fuel-Web-Desktop-Development/

A look at Sun’s VirtualBox

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtualization continues to be a big topic among Mac users with Intel-powered
| Macs. Products from Parallels and VMware allow you to easily run many
| different operating systems on your Mac, each within its own protected
| virtual environment. Recently, a third player entered the market—Sun, with
| its VirtualBox product.
`----

http://www.macworld.com/article/134584/2008/07/mwvodcast59.html

Turning point, and Microsoft knows it too.

Virtualization for the African Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| As virtualization picks up traction across the globe, companies like Sun
| Microsystems and VMware stand to gain, and Microsoft stands to lose. At a
| recent user group gathering in Uganda, for example, Computer Point Managing
| Director Anil Kuruvilla told clients that virtualization reduces IT costs,
| while increasing efficiency -- and, unlike Windows-based systems, desktop
| administration is not required.

Yesterday:

Red Hat's new CEO aims Linux at the cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Whitehurst: I joined because I believe in the mission. I've been a Fedora
| user for years at home. Economically, it is a fundamentally better way to
| develop software. One thing I love about the company is it's a great
| confluence: when we do well as a company, we do good for the communities of
| use and societies around us. The last thing that wasn't open-source was Red
| Hat Network, and we just open-sourced it. We're all in. We are and should be
| leaders in open source, and that's the right decision for our shareholders as
| well.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10002150-92.html

Yesterday:

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
| a research project.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/microsoft_midori_technical_details/

Days ago:

Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars [in less than a year]

http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars