Re: [News] MSBBC Overcharges Taxpayers (While Spilling 130,000,000 on Microsoft Player)

> Leaked Ofcom blueprint bashes Beeb
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| OFCOM SECRETS have again slipped out, as latest report suggests that the poor
>| old BBC may have to ?donate? some of its licence fee to other channels.
>|
>| This leaked information suggests the BBC?s ?excess? licence money will be
>| given, yes given, to other broadcasters for public service by 2012.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/28/leaked-ofcom-blueprint-favours

Unfortunately, forcing the BBC to source production from external
companies has merely resulted in far more imported drivel television, so
the crowning achievement of that particular push was to export more of our
licence fee to foreign companies in return for yet more mindless drivel.

If the BBC's remaining stash (once you remove the £millions they've
already given to Microsoft in the iPlayer disaster) is split across
several  broadcasters, it seems likely that we'll merely end up with
even more imported drivel, as the remaining funds will be spread ever
more thinly across the miriad of channels we have.

For example, at what point do we shut down the BBC Orchestras and
choirs?  When do the BBC stop sponsoring the Proms?  (went to a prom day
before yesterday, it was excellent - oddly, the first time I've ever
seen Beethoven's 5th live).

>From a licence-fee payer's viewpoint, the likely outcome is that all the
players will, together, scream that the split funding in insufficient,
so I wonder if Ofcom will, yet again, raise the fee.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |