Re: Rex Ballard: it costs $10,000 per employee to upgrade MS Office versions

On Jul 27, 2:07 am, "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_st...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:15:24 -0400, DFS wrote:

> > The average actual cost in lost productivity is about $10,000 per
> > employee, and has almost nothing to do with the price of Windows or
> > Office."

> > Typical Rex bullcrap, yet no cola regs have the courage of their convictions
> > to challenge it.

Of course, I was working in the financial district when Windows 95
rolled out, and I was an IT Architect for the Corporate IT division of
The Prudential when NT 4.0 was rolled out, and I was working for a
large bank when Windows XP was rolled out, and I did review the
budgets for those departments.  The number I posted to this newsgroup
was actually one of the lowest quoted publicly (Merril Lynch).

> Roy Schestowitz looks up to Rex Ballard as some kind of a hero or icon....
Roy and I are both "pro-Linux", while you are very obviously "Pro
Microsoft".

I understand why you don't post to comp.os.windows.advocacy, there
isn't much going on over there (about 300 postings a month, compared
to 25 postings per hour on COLA), and most of the discussions over
there are just "more bad news about Vista".  It almost seems like NONE
of the popular 3rd party Windows XP applications run well on Vista.

So rather than respond to the blast furnace of negative feedback on
that group, you participate in these groups.  Most of which don't even
exist in google groups.

> That should show you what a complete loon Roy Schestowitz, student at
> University of Manchester GB is.

IIRC, he is a Phd student in Computer Science, which makes him very
articulate.
Many of his "news-clip" postings are essentially the output of perl
scripts and curl, but he adds a few lines of his own to pique
interest.

> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/11955c95e42...
>
> >> Great job again Roy  (Rex Ballard says this)
> >Thanks. Coming from you, this means a lot.   (Roy Schestowitz says this)

As for my own credentials, I've been working with computers since 1976
when I read about a build-it-yourself CRT in a ham radio magazine.  I
very quickly learned to program in BASIC and then moved on to CP/M and
started with Unix in 1982, when I started as an Associate Engineer
working with MIT graduates and PhDs who were pioneering technologies
we know today as clusters, grids, and distributed processing.  By the
time I left, 5 years later, I was a Senior engineer and moved on to
Federal Express where, in addition to my duties on the Malcolm
Baldridge Award Winning Cosmos II-B project, I also took on leading an
effort at Enterprise Integration, coordinating presentations from
various vendors and staging demonstrations.  This was when Jim
Barksdale was COO.  Eventually, my proposed architecture was adopted
and I moved on to Great West Life, where I was directly responsible
for enterprise integration strategy as an IT architect.  In January
1993, I went to Dow Jones where I put them on on the Internet.  This
included helping 25 companies convert the proprietary X.25
asynchronous feed into TCP/IP feeds with message queues, archival and
real-time display components.  One of those companies was WAIS Inc,
which produced one of the first commercially successful federated
search engines (like those used on Google).  By 1997, I had moved to
McGraw-Hill Standard & Poor's unit where I advised the 127
publications on putting their content on the internet, along with 7000
other publishers, many of which became spin-offs with wierd names like
Yahoo, InfoSeek, ZD-Net, and CMP.  I showed them how to get started on
a shoe-string budget, build a business case for advertizing revenue,
and scale up to very-high-capacity systems based on Sun, IBM, or HP
Unix systems.

In 1997, I took on Enterprise Integration and "Technology Evangelism"
for Prudential, helping them to focus on standards rather than Vendors
that allowed them to implement portable cross-platform Java, MQ, and
CORBA based solutions on Windows, Linux, and Unix systems (as well as
some migrations from Windows to Mainframes).

In 1999, I joined IBM where I have worked as an IT Architect (Now a
Senior IT Architect) on projects ranging from Pressler Act interchange
between Alaska Cable and Alaska Telephone, to reference documents on
Websphere Business Integrator, including pilot implementations through
production deployment.  I usually completed my role in each project
once the client was sure that it was a "done deal".  I also made
liberal use of Open Source and Linux, especially for several projects
involving "Offshore team" in India and elsewhere.  The intellectual
capital was collected and became a pattern for future Offshoring
engagements.

As for
> Moshe Goldfarb

His great accomplishment in life:

Which makes me proud to be in
> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
Which is totally inacurate, right down to the spelling of my name.
The other "heros of Linux" are similarly inacurately represented and
maligned.
But just being a target of a "Collector of soaps from around the
globe" and WinTroll
like Moshe is something that says "these are people who make a
difference".