Re: ASUS Loses by Surrendering to Microsoft Pressure

Rex Ballard wrote:

> On Jul 28, 10:24 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_st...@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:20:36 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:
>>
>> > Actually, Microsoft's pressure back-fired.  When Microsoft first tried
>> > to get XP Home edition for the EEE to store shelves, they expected 60%
>> > of the sales to be Windows versions, and 40% to be Vista versions.
>>
>> Which is why BestBuy, at last check, no longer carries the Linux version.
>
> I never saw the Linux version OR the XP version, but J&R in NYC still
> had the Linux version on display.  When I observed the other shoppers,
> for about 45 minutes, the seemed to prefer the Linux version.  Partly
> because it was new and different, partly because they actually did
> like OpenOffice and they found that they really could type on it.

And we *know* that the only place anyone *ever* buys a computer is at Best
Buy -- who probably dropped the Linux version because the margins weren't
high enough or cutting into the sales of their higher priced laptops.

Oh well, I guess folks will just have to buy their Linux versions of the Eee
PC at New Egg, or Directron, or J&R, or CompUPlus.com, or Amazon, or...

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"