[News] New Magazine Issue from Microsoft's #1 Threat (GNU/Linux)

Full Circle Magazine: Issue 15

,----[ Quote ]
|     * Command and Conquer - The Ins and Outs of Directories
|     * How-To: Create a Separate Home Partition, Create Your Own Server (Part
|       7), Using GIMP (Part 4), and GRUB 101.
|     * My Story - Ubuntu Saves the Day and From Mickey’s ABCs to Kubuntu
|     * Review - HP Photosmart C3180 Printer
|     * MOTU Interview - Mathais Gug
|     * Our usual letters, Q & A, My Desktop, and much more!
`----

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-15/

Related:

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

“A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system.
Although we believe our products provide customers with significant advantages
in security, productivity, and total cost of ownership, the popularization of
the open source software model continues to pose a significant challenge to
our business model, including continuing efforts by proponents of open source
software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open source
software in their purchase and deployment of software products. To the extent
open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales of our products
may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for our products, and
revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.”

1A section on Risk assessment: First in the list is “alternatives to our
business model” with -- you've guessed it -- GNU/Linux. (in page 31)

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

                        --John Warden, lead attorney Microsoft