Re: Dell Buys Binary Blobs for GNU/Linux PCs

____/ Homer on Saturday 26 July 2008 08:32 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Rex Ballard spake thusly:
>
>> Partially true.  Wine will run some applications without Microsoft
>> libraries included in Windows, (typically those written in Visual
>> Basic 4.0 or Java), but newer applications written for Windows 98,
>> Windows XP, and Vista require libraries that are only included with a
>> valid license from Microsoft.
>
> ???
>
> Wine runs IE7, and I'm damned sure that wasn't written in either Visual
> Basic or Java. It also runs a huge array of DirectX games, also not
> written in Visual Basic or Java. Oh and let's not forget the "killer
> app" that the Widiots love to slaver over, Photoshop. Wine supports up
> to PS CS3, and I am very; very sure that wasn't written in Visual Basic
> or Java either.
>
> And as for licensing, I don't know or care what IE7's license reads,
> because I'll never use it, but I don't recall ever seeing any licensing
> restrictions for any Windows games that prohibited use under Wine.
>
> There's nothing in Wine that belongs to Microsoft.
>
>> WINE (Windows Implementation Now Easy)
>
> It's "Wine Is Not an Emulator", and it's not supposed to be all caps.
>
> You're thinking of SANE - "Scanner Access Now Easy".

But what about /imaginary/ property, aka 'IP'?

Remember: you can make people believe anything if you corrupt politicians to
the point of writing new laws and then brainwashing kids. Microsoft wrote in
its SEC filing that it needs to teach people about IP.

You'll find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

Also see early propaganda efforts (those who have the money have the access to
kids' brains):

Patent brainwashing in elementary schools (???)

,----[ Quote ]
| Alas! The terrible things they're teaching my children in schools these days,
| probably funded by Microsoft's OnMyWay program!
|
| I went to visit my son's class today, and discovered that they had been
| submitting proposals for patents, their teachers clearly no fans of
| innovation.... :-)
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9953254-16.html

Street-savvy Microsoft tries to pop the pimply face of piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| This isn't Redmond's first assault on young pirates. In February this year it
| tried to push its own intellectual property curriculum in schools with the
| launch of a clunky social networking style site, thinly-veiled as a fun forum
| for teens to get their cultural kicks.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/15/microsoft_young_pirates/

Can Microsoft teach tots digital-age virtue?

,----[ Quote ]
| The basis of Redmond's pitch was a small survey they sponsored where nearly
| half of the kids polled said they were unfamiliar with the rules and
| guidelines of using copyrighted media. Microsoft figured tots would be less
| inclined to steal someone's IP if they knew about the alleged consequences.
|
| A lot of digital ink was used to slam Microsoft's scheme. People need Redmond
| telling them about IP rules like they need Pavorotti schooling them about a
| well-balanced diet.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/27/microsoft_ip_curriculum_look/

Threat Of Jail Time Increases Respect For Copyright, Microsoft Says

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not clear whether Microsoft's statement to teen respondents -- "When you
| do not follow these rules you are open to significant fines and possibly jail
| time" -- is entirely accurate, particularly when teens under the age of 18
| are involved. Emily Berger, an intellectual property fellow at the Electronic
| Frontier Foundation, is skeptical. "I think it's being used as a scare
| tactic," she said. "It's a real stretch of the law to say it's theoretically
| possible."
`----

http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206503467

Microsoft training youth to love intellectual property

,----[ Quote ]
| Take, for example, its commitment to help teenagers understand the importance
| of respecting intellectual property (read: giving Microsoft more money). It
| just put out a survey showing that when kids understand the rules of
| copyright, they're "less likely to download illegally."
|
| [...]
|
| The one thing it didn't explain to teens is why they should retrofit
| 20th-century copyright laws onto 21st-century realities. Digitization is a
| fact. The web is a fact. Intellectual property is not the same as real,
| tangible property, and should be treated and monetized differently.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9871636-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
Tasks: 164 total,   1 running, 161 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie