Re: Dell Buys Binary Blobs for GNU/Linux PCs

On Jul 25, 4:23 pm, Linonut <lino...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
> >> This also allows Linux users to legally run Windows applications under
> >> WINE and under VMs.
>
> > No it doesn't.  In order for Linux users to legally run
> > Windows apps, they have to either set up dual-boots,
> > or slick a box which had Windows on it.  In the latter
> > case they run the risk of not being able to verify that
> > they're legally entitled to run WinE.
>
> You're both wrong.  You don't need to have Windows to run Wine or
> Windows applications under Wine, as far as I know:

Partially true.  Wine will run some applications without Microsoft
libraries included in Windows, (typically those written in Visual
Basic 4.0 or Java), but newer applications written for Windows 98,
Windows XP, and Vista require libraries that are only included with a
valid license from Microsoft.

>    http://www.winehq.org/
>
>    Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs.
>    Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free
>    alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100%
>    non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows
>    DLLs if they are available.

WINE (Windows Implementation Now Easy) is to the Windows kernel and
GDI what cygwin is to the Linux kernel.  The core functions are
provided by converting Windows API calls into Linux library and kernel
calls.

Ironically, WINE offers better "Backward compatibility" than Windows.
With WINE, you can run Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and some Windows NT
applications more faithfully than Microsoft's latest offerings can.

On the other hand, Windows XP applications require the use of XP
libraries which are only available through either a Windows XP
license, or Commercially licensed WINE systems that combine the
licensed libraries with WINE.

Remember that the Vista License expressly forbids the use of Vista
libraries with any operating system other than Vista.  This was a
deliberate attempt to prevent end-users from purchasing a machine with
OEM Vista and then installing Linux and running Vista applications
using WINE.

> By the way, I think people now smell alcohol when they get a whiff of
> Microsoft vaporware.

The dioxin, carbon-monoxide, and methane are oder-less and colorless,
but far more dangerous to your health.

We should be seeing Windows 7.0, with some jazzy trade name, sometime
in 2012, and Microsoft might have something as functional as Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4 by 2018.